Dave Meltzer, renowned wrestling journalist from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, has weighed in on the matches at WWE Money in the Bank and had high praise for several of the bouts. Taking place in London, England, this past Saturday, WWE's Money in the Bank Premium Live Event featured a headline match between The Usos and their cousin, Roman Reigns, who holds the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship, as well as their brother Solo Sikoa.
Dubbed the "Bloodline Civil War," this match held significant meaning as Jey Uso, after three years of allegiance, joined forces with his brother Jimmy to break free from the manipulation of their cousin Roman. The Usos emerged victorious, executing a series of devastating superkicks and Jey delivering an Uso Splash from the top rope onto Reigns.
This marked Reigns' first pinfall defeat since December 2019, an impressive streak of over three and a half years. The event also featured two exhilarating Money in the Bank Ladder matches. Damian Priest emerged triumphant in the men's match, which opened the show, while IYO SKY of Damage CTRL claimed victory in the women's match.
Despite the London crowd heavily favoring LA Knight and expressing their disapproval for Logan Paul, it was Damian Priest from The Judgment Day who managed to secure the win. Priest overcame being driven through a ladder by Paul earlier in the match and emerged as the tallest competitor.
In the Women's Money in the Bank Ladder Match, IYO SKY emerged as the winner by employing a clever strategy. SKY handcuffed Bayley and Becky Lynch to opposite sides of the ladder in the ring, leaving the other three participants, Trish Stratus, Zoey Stark, and Zelina Vega, unable to intervene.
SKY capitalized on the opportunity, ascending the ladder and retrieving the coveted briefcase. With their victories, both Priest and SKY earned the right to cash in their Money in the Bank contracts at any time against any WWE champion for a title opportunity.
Meltzer's Stellar Match Ratings
Dave Meltzer thoroughly enjoyed the event, rating three matches with four stars or above. In agreement with Meltzer's assessments, the Men's Ladder Match and the main event tag team match received a rating of ****1/2, sharing the accolade for the best match of the night.
Here are Dave's ratings for the matches:
- Damian Priest defeated LA Knight, Logan Paul, Ricochet, Butch, Santos Escobar, Shinsuke Nakamura – Men's Money in the Bank Ladder Match: ****1/2
- Liv Morgan & Raquel Rodriguez defeated Ronda Rousey & Shayna Baszler to win the Women's Tag Team Titles: ** 3/4
- Gunther (c) defeated Matt Riddle to retain the Intercontinental Title: ** 3/4
- Cody Rhodes defeated Dominik Mysterio: ***
- Iyo Sky defeated Trish Stratus, Zoey Stark, Becky Lynch, Bayley, Zelina Vega – Women's Money in the Bank: ****
- Seth Rollins (c) defeated Finn Balor to retain the World Heavyweight Championship: ***1/2
- The Usos (Jimmy & Jey Uso) defeated Roman Reigns & Solo Sikoa: ****1/2